How to survive KL cabbies deceit

Have you read about the recent news about KL cabbies having a bad reputation for overcharging people esp tourists? Well, I am Malaysian, but I live 2 hours away from KL via plane, so I guess I am considered tourist too.

I was away in KL for a 2 day training at UKM recently. Since I was alone on the first day and I have no idea where UKM is, I thought it's a good opportunity to learn some survival skills. So I did my research and decided to take KLIA Transit to Bandar Tasik Selatan (Adult: RM 26.50, Travel time: 24 mins) then at the same station take a Komuter to UKM (Adult: Rm 2.40, Travel time:21 Mins). From there, I will need to take a short taxi ride which should cost no more than Rm 5 (according to another blog I read) to get to my accommodation, UKM Puri Pujangga.

All of that will take about 50 mins and cost me about RM 34 in total. Not that bad huh? But being a baby at home, my big bro insisted for me to take a cabbie to UKM for my safety D: OK loh~ ~ I bought a taxi coupon over the counter at KLIA and it costs me RM 64.20!! That is almost 2 times more than what I initially planned. I felt cheated! because UKM website says it costs about RM 50, how come it ended up ~ 30% more?

That is not it, the most worrying part was the last 20 mins to UKM! I felt like I was in a horror movie all of a sudden. Single lane road that are pitch dark, roadside lamps are lacking, and the haze/pollution give a blurry view as if the next second, MoMok are gonna turned up and suck our blood off. Wah~!! 天啊! UKM 该不会是个鸟不生蛋的地方吧?Or, Or, what if the taxi driver drove me to some Ulu area and do something bad to me? Call me paranoid, but I think I would rather be safe than sorry. I quickly took out my iphone and plugged in a direction search. Watching the loading signal circling on the phone screen for minutes is stressful. T.T Should have taken the train instead, at least I know where I am when it travels on the railway!

At such a rural place, my 3G connection was on and off. *worried till the max* I THOUGHT TO MYSELF: IF THIS TAXI DRIVER IS GONNA DO SOMETHING BAD TO ME, I AM GONNA HIT HIM WITH MY HEAVY HANDBAG, CROSS PUNCH HIM ON THE NOSE, UPPERCUT HIM ON HIS CHIN AND KNEE HIM ON HIS ABDOMEN AND FINALLY KICKED HIM AT HIS 1% AND TURN HIM INTO A EUNUCH BEFORE I DRIVE HIS TAXI AWAY!!

but Phew~, that thought died off when my phone showed that it's the right route to UKM! So I am back alive to share this story with you.

Some useful tips for tourists:
1) Always get an idea about your travel fare: 
If you have internet, check up this website for taxi fare.
Or if you don't you can ask your hotel reception, or information counter (Shopping Center) to get a rough guide on how much you gotta pay.

2) Ask for meter before you hop in. 
If the guy refuse, you can choose to take another Taxi or you can negotiate something you are both happy with (but try not to, they are supposed to be metered taxi).
Never ever get into one before you asked about how they charge.

3) In between the front and back door (both left and right side) and in front (next to the digital clock), there is a unique set of numbers for each Taxi. 
Record that down in case you need to trace that taxi down.

4) Trace your location on Google Map or GPS device. 
If you are foreigner, you can buy your sim card at the airport or any mobile stores, then you can start tracing your location.

5) Don't forget other public transport system might be a better option for you.
Websites on KTM Komuter, Rapid KL (Bus, LRT, Monorail), KLIA Express (KLIA - KL Sentral, or LCCT - KL Sentral), KLIA Transit are just a click away!

Hope this helps. :)


*Countdown: 6 days till I show you my abs~ *

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding 101: Choosing a venue for Wedding Reception

Kuching: Money Changer

Wedding 101: In case you are looking for Live Wedding Band, here it is!